Thursday, January 8, 2009

El Obraje Cntd

If anyone is reading this...sorry we were out of internet for a bit and then ran out of time. We're actually home in the cold now but I'm going to continue where we left off.

We are up early again with breakfast of beans tortilla and cheese. I absolutely love the cheese here...We're in for another big day of hiking and visiting. The people here are very concerned for me...they think Archie and Benigno are barbaric for allowing me to tag along...es Largo they keep saying which in Nica means very far! Anyway we're geared up and off we go by 7:30am which is nice since it's somewhat cooler.
Flori is going with us some of the way today...we're going to see her sister and she wants us to meet her mom. We make 3 stops spanning likely 5 km before lunch and it is +40 by 10 am. We have run out of shade and any little bit we see along the trail we are all headed for it for a moment of cooler air. We arrive along a dusty trail to a river...I have NEVER been so excited to see water...it is actually a river here too...there are lots of barely there creeks that are called rivers here, but this one looks like a real one. As we geared up for crossing, I seriously considered swimming clothes gear and all, but we still have a lot of ground to cover, so it's a quick crossing. Flori is concerned for me and keeps trying to hold my hand...it's hilarious how fragile they think I am...They have never seen a white woman before, and I guess I'm quite a bit smaller than them. as a side note, I'm very surprised at how big the people here are...not overly tall, but many are quite chunky...I suppose it is all the carbs and sporatic eating...
Anyway we arrive at Flor's sister's house and We get cafe negre and some cookies...I'm getting great at ignoring the bugs etc in the food and drink and just swallow!
We go to Flori's mom's place and meet the bunch there...we find out one of the daughters husbands works in Costa Rica and sends money home which explains our treat of pop with ice, oreo cookie and a chocolate! We were so shocked and Archie confirmed this was the first time he has ever been served this in this area.

We hike back to our main stay home and drop Flori off and continue on to another place over the mountain. We hike straight up and get amazing views of the valleys all around. IT is hot and dry and gatorade has never tasted so good. We pass through sesame fields on the mountain side where they are stooking them...very interesting. I have a moment of elation when I think I see a orange tree, but it turns out to be a gourd tree that has no fruit value whatsoever...it grows on very infertile soil...we did find some wild papaya though...the first fruit we've seen here.
The home we arrive to seems much more industrious than any other we've seen so far. There is tile on the porch...everything is stacked neatly in the home...we have a visit while the chickens and pigs fight furiously the whole time...we're served some chicken and tortilla and off we go home.
The last part of trip home is in the dark on the trails, but it is blessedly cool!!!

We arrive back exhausted but the day isn't over yet...they are all waiting for us and nobody can believe that I'm still walking on my own! There seems to be a lot of people waiting. The people asked me to speak tonight...I;m not sure what exactly to tell them, but they have never heard from a white woman before...anyway the evening is wonderful and ends on a somewhat emotional note. They keep asking when we'll be back, we want to say a date, but the reality is we have no idea...we may never get back here again.

It is an amazing clear night and we find it hard to sleep mesmerized by looking up at the stars from our tent and talking about our trip so far.
Also I'm incensed by all the bugs in our tent. We've had to put our pack inside our tent during the day and I think all the creepy crawlies came in with it and multiplied.

We manage some sleep and are up at 4 am to hike out to catch our 6am bus.

No comments: